Community Development Programme Activities
The Community Development Programme (CDP) is the Australian Government Remote Employment and Community Development Service administered through the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet.
Under the CDP, job seekers with activity requirements are expected to do up to 25 hours per week of work-like activities that benefit their community. Activities can take different forms and are suited to the job seeker, their community and the local job market.
SkillCentred supervises activities in South West Region for the local CDP Provider. The group activities are delivered in Charleville, Mitchell and Cunnamulla. The activities include arts and crafts, literacy and learning, landscaping and maintenance, carpentry and construction and community gardens.
The main objects of the activities are for participants to:
- experience work in a team environment;
- learn safe use and handling various tools;
- gain skills, knowledge and experience in an environment that can prepare them to find sustainable employment;
- learn practical, hands-on skills which may not have been previously available to them;
- learn skills which will also be useful in their home environments and community;
- improve their literacy and numeracy skills;
- enable jobseekers to contribute positively in their community;
- enable jobseekers to grow their networks.